Pages






Most
Recent Posts

Portrait of a Hero - Ty

 Portrait of a Hero - Ty Poulson


I was privileged to interview Ty (my nephew) over the internet. 
I have been so impressed with his determination and courage to 
tackle the odds and to do such fun and amazing things!
Following are the questions I asked and his responses!
1. What is the handicap you are dealing with?
I suffer from MS like disease, for which they are uncertain of the cause.

2. How long have you had this?
I have had this disease for 6 years.

3. Where do you get your desire to Rise Above Your Limits?
My Aunt Becky gave me the desire to Rise Above My Limits, and so did reading PN (paraplegic news) and my Faith In God. I saw other Athletes going the distance so I wanted to go the distance as well. My Family, my community, my Dog.

4. What are you doing now that you never thought you would be able to do?
Since my entrance into a differently abled world, I never thought I would walk, or Rock Climb, or Snow Shoe, or Hike. I have been able to Ride Freight Trains, Rock Climb, Walk, Carry Weighted Objects, Walk without the assistance of a Cane, or a Wheelchair.
I fix bicycles, I go on long Hand Cycle trips, My Uncle Chuck was my Cycling Model. I also watch movies, play Violin, Fiddle, Watch YouTube, or go and visit people who have situations like mine, or that are similar or worse. Meditation really helps, Yoga, spending time reading, Music, etc.
I also learned how to ski, play wheelchair basketball, become a fully sponsored Athlete, and also play and win Fiddle Contests.
5. Have there been certain people that have helped you along the way? What was it you appreciated the most?
First of all my Mother Julie, she has been there to support me, and give wind to my sails, plus my family, and my friends, my dog as well as I appreciate winning medals, and what not, doing things that astound other people, I have to say that I appreciate God the most.

I fix bicycles, I go on long Hand Cycle trips, My Uncle Chuck was my Cycling Model. I also watch movies, play Violin, Fiddle, Watch YouTube, or go and visit people who have situations like mine, or that are similar or worse. Meditation really helps, Yoga, spending time reading, Music, etc.***

I also learned outdoor skills in Boy Scouts, I am an Eagle Scout, so I attribute that to my scout masters.

I attribute:
My love of skiing, to Virgil Ash,
My love of Ski Jouring, to Montana.
My love of downhill skiing, to Bruce Gibson, at Whitefish Mountain Resort.
My love of life, to my God, Jesus Christ
My love of music, to my Father,
My love of Dogs, to my Father.
6. How do you handle situations that are beyond your control, such as people and their ignorance to your situation?
It is hard to handle the ignorant people, I try my best to teach, or lead by example, or just blow by the ignorance.


I just love life, and it has been amazing, the things I have been able to do, I have composed songs, skijoured, on a skijour that I built myself. I have conquered mountains. I have done a lot, and I am not done yet. I love life so much, but I hate the chronic pain, but I have soared, like an Eagle, and I am smart enough to know when not to fly to close to the sun, I have been victorious in many ways, even in the hardest of times, I have trusted in Jesus, that all will be well with him. I have done my best Physically, and I hope to leave a legacy to this World. Marathons are fun to do, and I thank my sponsors at Pharmanex, and Nu Skin, and Racer's Cycle Service for all their help. I also have to thank Bob Giordano, and all my friends in Missoula, and the people all over Montana, that have fed me, or helped me, or let me fix bikes for them. My daughter Marisol, for how strong she is, and how she loves the outdoors, and the times I got to be with her, and go sledding, and spend time reading to her, getting to know her, and her love of the outdoors. May she always be blessed.

I come from a really awesome family, and I have amazing relatives from all over the place. They are all so strong, and such an inspiration to me. Especially my Aunt Becky, who deals with RA, every day, and I just take more strength from her example, and my cousin Pete Terry. So many people have been there, I just hope I can give back.

I want to give back to all those from whom I took from, and this is my chance, God has really blessed me as of lately, and I have been constantly touring and meeting people, all over the place, on the road, in the railroad yards, in homeless shelters, I want to thank the people of Browning Montana, at the BlackFeet Reservation, I would like them to know how much they are loved, and if people can help, send videos to them, or donations, they are a great people. I went there to celebrate Veterans Day. I told them the name Harold Gividen at that ceremony and played Soldiers' Joy, an old Fiddle tune on the Violin for the tribe. I am a friend and honorary member of the Blackfeet nation.

I love you all,
Ty



15 comments:



1
Stephanie said...
Following you (o: http://lifeassupermom.blogspot.com/

2
Jan at Jewelry4Change said...
This is the type of post that makes you want to scream "WOO HOO!!" Thank you for sharing Ty's story. He's an inspiration. I found you on Jeremiah 29:11... so glad I did. Looking forward to reading more. Have a wonderful day! Jan http://www.jewelry4change.blogspot.com

3
Deb said...
He's an amazing young man...but I think his Aunt is pretty amazing, too!!! You are such an inspiration!!! Thank you so much for joining my linky party...and leaving such sweet comments. Come back again next Friday...if not before!!!

4
WheelchairDecor said...
Deb, Thanks for such a sweet comment. One of my greatest desires is to be an inspiration to others like you are!

5
WheelchairDecor said...
Thanks Jan...he is pretty cool!

6
Canadianmom said...
Wow. I just love inspirational stories like that. I truly enjoyed reading your blog today. Your nephew is amazing with or without his disability. I don't even know if disabilty is the right word, he sure can do way more than I could. He soulds like an amazing person. He is definately one of God's messangers. I hope you have a wonderful weekend! Thanks for sharing that story. Jen

7
WheelchairDecor said...
CanadianMom,So glad you enjoyed the read! Have great weekend too!

8
Toesthattwinkle! said...
I found you on the blog hop and now Im following you! Please check out my blog and follow me, http://toesthattwinkle.blogspot.com/ I also wanted to say how much I love your blog and reading the posts!

9
Anonymous said...
AH.......Thanks Guys for all your inspiration to me. I am touched by your comments. I couldn't do it without God.

10
Anonymous said...
What an inspiration you are Ty. I was diagnosed with diffuse systemic scleroderma in 2006. Single mom, no child support, unable to work, bankruptcy, hanging by a thread at times and the guy on the other end of that thread is Jesus. Hearing your story is great motivation for me. Thank you for sharing and keep up the good work! Kelly Pleas

11
Keenly Kristin said...
What a great story!! Stumbled (from STT) and I'm now following you! Kristin :) Keenly Kristin

12
Amee said...
I stumbled this great article I hope you will stumble mine back. Thank you, Amee from www.madamedeals.com

13
Anonymous said...
A GIRLFRIEND THAT CAN'T STOP THINKING ABOUT YOU AND READ YOUR ARTICLE AND LOVED IT! WAY TO GO ! YOUR OUT OF SIGHT YOUR INCREDIBLE HULK AND INSPIRATION TO ALL ! YOU REALLY SHOULD HAVE A TALK SHOW BADLY! ROCK CLIMBING WOW THAT'S INCREDIBLE! YOU INSPIRED ME GREATLY WITH THIS ARTICLE WOW I DIDN'T KNOW YOU DID ALL THAT WOW GOD BLESS YOU ALWAYS MAY YOU BE INSPIRATION TO THE WHOLE WORLD ETC.

15
Anonymous said...
SKY'S THE LIMIT YOU CAN DO ANYTHING IF YOU PUT YOUR MIND TO IT!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Due to spam, Anonymous comments will not be posted.