Pages






Most
Recent Posts

Marriage Is A Lot Like A Car


Today CL and I are celebrating our 34th wedding anniversary. 

Long ago, when I was a little girl, I dreamt of being swept off my feet as my Prince Charming came riding into my life on his white charger…well, my Prince Charming did come riding in, but NOT on a white charger but in his White Datsun B210. Her name was Betty.  She was reliable and sporty!  Our marriage began that way too.  We were sealed for time and all eternity in the Manti Temple.  We knew our love for eachother was reliable, but we also were enjoying the sport of newlyweds!  Betty was just right for hubby and me. We could sit next to eachother holding hands and talk about sweet nothings!

Add several years and lot’s more kids and you would see us driving an Old Clunker…this was the year CL got laid off.  We were expecting our 7th child and times were difficult.  Some friends had pity on us when our ‘other’ car died.  They gave us the Old Clunker.  The Old Clunker was a blessing and we were so grateful for her hardy motor and sturdy body.  Her upholstery was torn and the seats sagged a bit, but she never did die on us!  Old Clunker resembled our marriage at this point, though poverty had struck us, we were rich in our hardy love for eachother and our bodies were sturdy, being supported by our love and faith in the Lord.

CL had several odd jobs that carried us through and about a year later, he landed a great job.  Not only were we growing financially, but our family was growing…the next vehicle to come to our marriage was a 12 passenger van.  We didn’t fill up all the seats yet, but the extra room was a welcome relief!  All too soon though, we had 11 kids.  The van was full, our marriage was full! But we were no longer sitting next to eachother, holding hands and talking of sweet nothings.  Our conversations were more to the tune of, “sit down kids, get your seat belts on, who’s missing, keep your sticky fingers off the upholstery…”

Time kept ticking and we surprisingly found our family getting smaller.  A Grand Marquis marked a new season in our lives.  Financially we were stable, we could get a bit fancier car that provided a smoother ride. This was also a smoother time in our marriage, life was settling down, no more diapers or destroying toddlers. Once again, I could actually sit next to my husband as we drove down the street!

As life often does…the unexpected happened and we found ourselves needing a wheelchair accessible vehicle.  We located a used 12 passenger van and had a wheelchair lift installed.  Just like our adjusted van, we found our family adjusting to new areas of focus to accommodate the changes in our life style. This was our Darth Vader Van…When I’d exit our van it looked like Darth Vader coming out of his spaceship.  All I needed was some smoke and cool music to finish off the affect!

Last year our family downsized to just CL, 3 teens and me.  The need for a huge van was over. Our current vehicle is now a nice wheelchair accessible Mini Van. It runs smooth and is comfortable.  Our marriage has made it through the big, the noisy, and the sticky!  Now we’re enjoying the small and simple things!

What kind of car are you using and what does it say about your current time of life?



Photobucket

23 comments:

  1. Oh, another friend of mine is celebrating their wedding anniversary today too!

    What a nice summary of beginning up to the present. It's nice to hear marriage stories that lasted through the years in this age where marriage can even last for only days!

    Spanish Pinay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good day to get married! CL and I decided divorce was not an option...doesn't always work for everyone, but if divorce is not an option and both parties are really trying, then it encourages solutions.

      Delete
  2. LOL.... very cute post Becky Jane. I have never thought of comparing my marriage to a car, but it seems to of worked well for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds kind of crazy, but I discovered our vehicles pretty well sumed up what was going on in our lives!

      Delete
  3. I have really enjoyed this post, Becky!!!! Don't you wish you had pictures of all those cars? It would be so great in this post. I, too want to do a car post, but don't have the pictures either! My story about cars is a bit similar to yours, but without all the children. Are you the one who needs the wheelchair? May I ask why? We keep our transport chair in the trunk. Phil wheels me when needed, because I cant really wheel myself due to torn rotator cuffs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have pictures, but they're packed far away in a storage unit...
      The wheelchair is for me. I've been in one for the past 14 years due to rheumatoid arthritis and ankylosing spondilitis. Not fun, but grateful for the mobile technology.

      Delete
  4. It's just Pappy and me in the house....except when our GRANDsons are here to visit, or we take them somewhere. He drives a 9 year old Toyota Tundra Truck....very sporty and very Pappy!!! ;-) I drive a 11 year old SUV....and I do think it might be on it's last leg....but it's all we can afford for now. I know in my heart of hearts that God has something better in store for us....in HIS time!!! What a great post, Ms. Becky!!! Pappy and I will celebrate our 35th in April!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy anniversary next month Sweetie! I know the Lord has great plans for you and Pappy! How's the adoption going?

      Delete
  5. Love the progression of vehicles here! Both of our vehicles are used and older, but they get the job done, so far :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All our vehicles have been used...and getting the job done is what matters most! Happy Thursday!

      Delete
  6. Cute analogy and I thought it was so cleverly written.

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is a great analogy of marriage and cars. I have to think about ours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. Hope your trip is going well!

      Delete
  8. What an awesome post. I can still remember my first car, wait...it's the same one I've had for the last 18 years. But that's all I need right now---a reliable ride. Because just like you mention, life is full of surprises and sometimes you need a strong reliable ride to carry you through it all.
    By the way, you didn't keep the van. What about all those wonderful grandkids you need to take to parks and other activities? Have a great day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, I didn't even think of that, maybe there's another larger vehicle in our future :)

      Delete
  9. Congratulations!! Cheers to falling in love all over again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hope your trip is successful! Take lots of pictures so we can see those sweet girls graduating from FLAG!

      Delete
  10. Happy Anniversary!!! May God continue to bless you both with many more years together...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel, it's so good to hear from you! Thank you for your sweet comment. CL and I plan on spending a looooooong time together!

      Delete
  11. How true is that Becky Jane? Cool post and CONGRATULATIONS on your wedding anniversary :D We drive a station wagon. When Sissy comes home we are upgrading to a mini van and a 4 door truck :D Yep, the sticky upholstery phase for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sticky finger stage is one of the best! What's the latest on your adoption?

      Delete
  12. Aw...that is so sweet and so like my relationship with my hunny and kids. Although you have almost double what I have.

    We're in the HUGE SUV deal right now, since 5 kids are still at home...I'll be really sad when I have to downgrade again someday to a sedan :)

    ReplyDelete

Due to spam, Anonymous comments will not be posted.