Pages






Most
Recent Posts

Portrait of a Hero - Jamie

Jamie is my choice for Portrait of a Hero for this week.  Her attitude and desire to Rise Above her Limits is a great example! You can view her blog HERE!

17 Years Walking – 17 Years Rollin’

10 Oct
Today is Oct. 9.  17 years ago today I was in a car accident.  Most of you know the story, if not, you can go here and read all about it.  Most of you know me from the later 17 years.  So, today, I wanted to take you back to me without wheels and I want to share a few pictures and memorabilia I found recently regarding being in a wheelchair.
Me in my grandfather's cap :)

The little things I took for granted.


This picture was taken the night before my accident

The following are notes written by my mom at the time of my accident:
10-9-93 - 11:00/11:10 PM
Accident happened.  Jamie was lying in the back of the truck.  There was a gentleman in the truck with her.  She was covered with a blanket.  She said she could not feel her legs.  The rescue transported her to Kennestone.  She was being a real trooper.  The wait in the ER room was extremely long.  Doug and all were great – they helped us maintain.  They were all praying for the Jamster.  The x-rays were not positive.  Severed spinal cord.  Broken vertebrae.  The doctor told her – she did better than us.  The doctor told us 10-14 days before surgery.  We got to see her after she was placed in ICU.
10-10-93 – Sunday morning
Jamie was in a rotating bed.  She had Rick (my dad) call her work to tell them she couldn’t be there.
10-11-93 – Monday
She was afraid she wouldn’t have friends.  She thought she was costing us too much money.  She had that smile.  Lots of visitors.  Still smiling.  Wanted to put on make-up, fix hair, etc.  Lots more company.



ICU in the rotating bed




10-12-93 – Tuesday
Kids in morning.  Lots of visitors.  Worried about hair.
10-13-93 – Wednesday
“Ate” hamburger & fries.  Major hair problems.
10-14-93 – Thursday
Washed hair.  She felt better.  Had Red Lobster for dinner.  Really scared of surgery.  I liked holding her hand while she went to sleep.  Lots more people.
10-15-93 – Surgery Day
Spirits pretty good.
I got lots of cards, but this one always stands out every time I look back at them.  It is from the girl who caused the accident.  This is the only correspondence I have ever received from her.

After 2 1/2 months of therapy, I went home and went back to school.  I really wanted to cheer again.  I knew it was kind of cheesy, but I loved it and it was a part of me.

Then, of course, there was Ms. Wheelchair USA.  HA!  :)

So, I’ll end this 17th anniversary on this note:
I’ll be honest, I never, in a million years, thought I was going to be in a wheelchair the same amount of time that I spent out of one.  I can’t believe 17 years have gone by so quickly.  I can’t believe I’m still paralyzed.  The night when I found out, I always thought there would be some kind of cure by now.  I didn’t see this coming.  Trust me, I’m certainly ok with it and know that a cure may not happen in my lifetime, so you won’t see any pity party come from me.  I guess it’s just weird.  That’s the only way I can explain it.  Weird.  But one day there will be no more wheelchair.  One day I will stand, and walk up to my Jesus and wrap my arms around Him and thank Him for how He blessed my life.  One day I will stand next to my Nana and ask her to take a walk with me.  When that day comes there will be rejoicing.  I rejoice now thinking about that day!



by Jamie Goodwin

12 comments:



1
Deb said...
What an amazing, touching story. I truly loved her last comments about how she will one day walk with Jesus...and tell Him how He had blessed her. What an amazing young lady!

2
Kim @ Stuff could... said...
I am so glad you show us these great hero's. I have had a few of the same thoughts, (me in a wheelchair, surely a cure)...Thanks again, I will check out her blog

3
Grace said...
I think you have named these post correctly in saying you are featuring a hero because they truly are heroes as they look past their own physical limitations and go on to inspire others.

4
WheelchairDecor said...
On of the best parts of doing these kind of posts, is it keeps me from feeling sorry for myself...they inspire me...

5
Karen Mortensen said...
This was wonderful. What a great lady.

6
The Teachers Wife said...
I've stumbled this! If you have time I would love a stumble back! http://www.survivingateacherssalary.com/2011/04/make-your-own-ladybug-pinata.html

7
Darcy said...
Touching story - Stumbled your post, if you could stumble mine http://www.darcyandbrian.com/?p=2016 I'd appreciate it!

8
Sara said...
Great story. I stumbled this. My post is http://booksyourkidswilllove.blogspot.com/2011/04/reading-tools-and-tips-for-pre-school.html

9
Still Blonde after all these YEARS said...
Crying...really. What a wonderful story. Makes you really want to STOP complaining about anything. Thanks for participating in Stumble Tumble Tuesday. Hoep you will return next week. Stumbled you, please stumble me back! http://stillblondeafteralltheseyears.com/2011/04/stop-dont-use-networked-blogs-rss-graffiti-or-any-other-feed-aggregator-to-post-on-facebook/ The Chief Blonde

10
Amethyst Moon said...
very touching! I stumbled you

11
Leovi said...
Really touching your experience. I love your courage and your desire to live, and this post can help many people who are now in this bad situation, even me, nobody is ruled out may happen at any time. I congratulate you and wish you all the happiness in the world and those around you. A hug.

12
ShanimalsCrackers.blogspot.com said...
I got a little teary-eyed with the last few sentences. She truly is a hero.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Due to spam, Anonymous comments will not be posted.