Pages






Most
Recent Posts

Companion Planting - Part 2


This is part 2 in a 2 part series on companion planting.  To view part one click HERE!  I gained an interest in this several years ago and did some extensive research on the subject.  Since then I've implemented what I learned into my own gardens and have been pleased with the results...I will not be able to post on every fruit and vegetable, but will post on the ones that I plant most often.  I will include the best companion plants for a better yield, best companions to fight pests, and incompatible companions for each plant.  Unless otherwise specified, these plants should be planted next to each other.
To keep these articles from being too long I'm not posting the whys and wherefores...you can contact me if you desire this information. (All photos courtesy of Google Image)
Melons
COMPANIONS FOR BETTER YIELD:
corn, nasturtiums, radish
COMPANIONS FOR PEST CONTROL:
radish, marigold, oregano
INCOMPATIBLE COMPANIONS:
none that I could find
NOTES:
For better plants that fight pests naturally, planting seeds directly in the ground.



Onion
COMPANIONS FOR BETTER YIELD:
chamomile, summer savory
COMPANIONS FOR PEST CONTROL:
carrots
INCOMPATIBLE COMPANIONS:
peas, asparagus, bush and pole beans, sage 
NOTES:
most plants benefit from planting next to onions




Pumpkin
COMPANIONS FOR BETTER YIELD:
corn, melons, squash
COMPANIONS FOR PEST CONTROL:
marigolds, nasturtiums, oregano
INCOMPATIBLE COMPANIONS:
potatoes




Spinach
COMPANIONS FOR BETTER YIELD:
peas, strawberry, lettuce, onion, radish
COMPANIONS FOR PEST CONTROL:
none
INCOMPATIBLE COMPANIONS:
potato



Squash
COMPANIONS FOR BETTER YIELD:
beans, corn, mint, radish, sunflower, tansy, nasturtiums
COMPANIONS FOR PEST CONTROL:
nasturtiums, tansy, dill, radish 
INCOMPATIBLE COMPANIONS:
potato, cucumber, melon, pumpkin 
NOTE:
Planting vine plants such as pumpkin, squash, melons, and cucumbers together increase the draw for pests.  I prefer to plant these types of plants in separate sections of the garden.

COMPANIONS FOR BETTER YIELD:
carrot, chive, marigold, pea, petunia, mint, sage, basil, bush beans, cucumber, parsley
COMPANIONS FOR PEST CONTROL:
onion, garlic, chives, basil, marigold, parsley, nasturtiums 
INCOMPATIBLE COMPANIONS:
apricot, dill, corn, fennel, pole bean, potato, pepper
NOTE:
if tomatoes aren't ripening, mix 2T Epsom salt with 1 gallon of water and pour around the roots of the tomato plants
Following are a few extra, helpful notes on other plants:




Peach
I've planted garlic around my peach trees to deter peach borer. Onion also works.















Strawberries
Plant a sage bush amongst or near by to deter pests. Foil pie tins hung with string from posts and allowed to flap in the wind deter birds.






















Apricot
Earwigs getting into the apricots are a huge problem in my area. I found sprinkling a thick circle of ashes about 1 foot away from the trunk kills them.









Roses
Planting feverfew, tansy, or parsley around rose bushes keeps aphids away and also gives a nice looking foundation to the unsightly base of roses.












Photobucket

13 comments:

  1. I love to companion plant. It is so natural, healthy, and interesting. And it Works.
    Did the twisted scavenger thing for you matie. stumbled, tweeted, facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know about all of this, but it sure makes sense. I was kind of surprised about the tomato & peppers not being compatible, but for many years have had trouble with them. And yes, they were always right together. I'm thinking that the tip with the ashes around the apricot tree would also work for my peach tree. I need to try that. Also surprised about the cucumbers & squash. I have been planting them right by each other, too. Usually, my zucchini does great, but cucumbers don't. Never had these issues in the mid-west, but gardening in Nevada is definitely more unforgiving. Thanks! I am following you now, too.

    Stephanie
    http://stephanie-thejourney.blogspot.com/
    and member of Voiceboks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your 1 year blog anniversary!! I'm celebrating 3 years at Jeremiah 29:11 and I'm having a give-a-way, if you would like to enter!!! Companion planting is very interesting....I had never heard of it before!!! I would love to just grab that tomato and a salt shaker and go to town!!! ;-) HOPE you have a great weekend, sweet blogging friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephanie,
    Before I had learned all this I planted everything together too and they did alright. Once I started companion planting I didn't have to worry about bugs and my plants flourished!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deb,
    One of my favorite garden indulgences is just sitting in my garden eating sun-warmed tomatoes....yum, yum...we must be soul friends!☺ ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Grace, Sounds like you've got it all figured out....not surprised!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Becky, I am going to have to do this, because bugs are definitely one of the many issues of gardening in northern Nevada. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stephanie,
    Good luck...you can also go online and find specific solutions for specific plants under Companion Planting. Where we both live in the desert I would think we share a lot of the same pests!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did not know about parsley and roses for ahphid control!!! I'm going to have to try that! Becky I was checking over Lexie's list of members to remember and I just loved your quote, Roses are like rasing children, a little thorny but worth the effort (pardon me paraahrasing) Great!! And so true! Thanks for a great and informative post! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I chose you for a Versatile Blog Award, come by my site and pick it up :)

    Brittany
    http://www.findingbrittnemo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh what beautiful garden beauties....if I lived closed enough to you ...I'd take a walk with you to your garden and plop my behind down and eat a tomato with you....love fresh tomatoes....
    I am hoping next year I will be settled enough I can have a garden!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am planting a lot of squash this year. Last year I got a ton of zucchini, I will have to plant some mint around it. Thanks Becky

    ReplyDelete

Due to spam, Anonymous comments will not be posted.